Saturday, October 8, 2011

Movie Date with My Mom

I finally saw THE HELP last night. It was easily the Best Book I read last year, and now easily the Best Movie I've seen this year.


It was a great movie to see with my mom. Not only had we both read the book (and loved it) but there were two memorable mother/daughter relationships in this movie.

It's a movie for everyone, though, and you will alternately laugh, cry, and cheer. If you don't, well hey, you must not be human.

So if you haven't yet - go Read the Book. See the Movie. Trust me on this one.

Have you seen it yet? What was your impression?

6 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, I would so LOVE to go see this with my daughter...do I need to bring a box of kleenex?

Linda Benson said...

No, not a box of kleenex. One large hanky will do! Enjoy!!

Dreaming said...

I read the book and loved it. My hubby has some great stories of 'the help' his great aunt had in the south in the 50's & 60's. Scary how close his stories are to Stockett's book. We've come a long way!
I must go watch the movie! Thanks for the recommendation!

Patricia said...

I started the book months ago and couldn't seem to get past the first chapter because of the dialogue, but I'm going to give it another try. I've heard SO much about the movie and seen some of the characters being interviewed and know I'll love it. I just have to start the book again and someone told me once if I read the first few chapters I won't be able to put it down.
Thanks for the nudge!
Patti

Linda Benson said...

Dreaming - I was afraid I wouldn't like the movie, but it's one of the best adaptations to the screen that I've ever seen.

Patti - Yes, do try again and let me know what you think after you get past the first chapters! It's a great story with wonderful characters!

Jaye Robin Brown said...

I loved the book and was pleasantly surprised by the movie - great actresses throughout - Sissy Spacek was amazing, so was Ron Howard's daughter, and I loved the character Celia Foote in the book and she was phenomenal in the movie - And the two main characters who were telling their stories to Skeeter were incredible actresses. I grew up in the deep south just over the state line in Alabama, so knew this story all too well, even a decade later in the 70's.