Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Giving Thanks

In the rush to mark down the Halloween costumes, set out the Christmas merchandise, and start playing Christmas tunes, Thanksgiving seems to be somewhat overlooked, at least as far as retail stores go. But I love Thanksgiving. In fact, I love the whole month of  November, when people begin to reflect on what they are truly thankful for.

Collection of ceramic and handmade turkeys that I bring out this time of year.
 
 
 
So here's my list:
  1. I'm thankful for family. Although we may not always be together, I come from a close family that talks and shares things and loves one another.
  2. I am thankful for my husband. I married him 22 years ago, and it was one of the best decisions of my life.
  3. I am thankful that I live in a warm house and that I have plenty to eat on Thanksgiving, and every day. I realize that this is not true for many people in the world, and I know how lucky I am.
  4. I am thankful I live in a peaceful country without war at our doors. I am thankful for the men and women who have given their lives to protect us, and those that do so every single day.
  5. I am thankful for the animals in my life, who bring me so much companionship, fun, and joy.
  6. I am thankful that I live in a beautiful place, with trees and woods surrounding me.
  7. I am thankful for my health. Although I am getting older and parts of me are not as good as they used to be, I am basically still pretty healthy, and I am very thankful for that.
  8. I am thankful that I received a good education, that allowed me to read well (one of my primary joys in life) and to learn to make good decisions.
  9. I am thankful for good friends and neighbors, which we have in abundance.
  10. I am thankful for turkey, and pumpkin pie, and laughter, and music. 
I could go on and on, but on this day sitting in my comfy chair with the rain pounding down outside, I am thankful for the time to reflect and give thanks for the many good things in my life.
 
I hope that all of you can do the same.
Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!
I hope you enjoy your day!

4 comments:

Dreaming said...

I agree with many of the things on your list you are thankful for. I especially agree with having access to a good education.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
I love your collection of turkeys!

Dreaming said...

I agree with many of the things on your list you are thankful for. I especially agree with having access to a good education.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
I love your collection of turkeys!

Linda Benson said...

Thanks, Dreaming. I am so thankful that I learned to read at an early age. Reading opens so many doors in life. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Patricia said...

What a lovely post to wake up to this morning, Linda. I, too, am thankful for all the same things you are - family, husband, kids, health, animals, food to eat, reading, education.
Have a wonderful day!
Patti