Monday, November 9, 2009

The Amazing Internet

Yes, the Internet is an amazing place, isn't it? And I, who always considered myself Ms. Natural and was never one for techie stuff, now thoroughly enjoy it.

It is my first choice for immediate information: I don't like watching news on television in the morning because it's noisy and it takes up too much time. I turn on my computer and get all the headlines right on one page, in about 10 seconds. If I want to find out exercises for sciatica or treatments for laminitis or the weather in Waikoloa, Hawaii, I can find it online. If I read a great book and want to check out the author and find what else they've written, if I can't remember the words to that song that keeps floating through mind, then it's google time.
I got my agent online. I found her on a site that lists agents accepting new clients http://agentquery.com/ I emailed her my query letter and she emailed back asking for three chapters and a synopsis. Then she phoned and emailed me again, requesting the full manuscript. With just a few clicks of a mouse, my novel flew all the way across the country and right onto her computer screen. (Hint - don't try this unless she requests your ms. She's good with the delete button ;-0)


Because of the Internet, I found the best dog in the world (shelter dogs rule)
and adopted a sweet young cat who had spent half his life in a cage. www.petfinder.com




I know - who could resist this face?




With social networking, I have met new writing friends and new animal-loving buddies, as well as reestablished connections with old friends with whom I've been out of touch. I have found critique partners online, found the perfect new home for a donkey http://critterfarmgirl.blogspot.com/ and made dear friends with people who I might never have rubbed shoulders with if it wasn't for the open walls of the Internet.



And since writers are always on the look-out for new words (especially verbs) who would have known several years ago that we'd all be using "googled, friended, blogged, and facebooked" as verbs? You know, as in, "hey, I'll facebook you?"

Pretty neat, indeed. Yep, I'll admit it. This self-proclaimed nature girl is now an Internet junkie. But now I've got to quit blogging and actually get something done.

So you tell me, what cool things have happened to you on the Internet??

2 comments:

Danni said...

What cool things have happened to me on the Internet?... I met you! And found the donkey of my dreams! :-)

Joanna said...

Joe and I got to see our wedding photos on the internet before the actual proofs were ready--damn cool.