Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Meet SG Rogers

Meet S.G. Rogers, author of fantasy and speculative fiction, who has a brand new novel out from Astraea Press, a new book out from Musa Publishing in April, and a Free Read available Dec 7th, 2011 from Musa Publishing.

  Suzanne, how long have you been writing?


I’ve had a knack for writing my whole life, but it was after the birth of my son when I became serious about pursuing a career as an author. I started out with screenplays, and then branched out into fiction.


Do you write mostly for children and young adults, or have you written for other age groups?


I write what I like to read, so I tend toward writing young adult fantasy. I wouldn’t mind writing more romantic fantasy, which appeals to a broader spectrum of adults.


Is The Last Great Wizard of Yden your first book? And it's out as an e-book with Astraea Press?

 Yden is my first full-length title with a publisher, and it’s in e-book format.  If I can make a market for the Yden series, it will go to print.  Personally, I love e-books.


Tell us briefly about this book. Does it involve time travel?

 When Jon Hansen’s father is kidnapped in a supernatural way, his quest for answers leads him to another dimension—the magical planet known as Yden.


Is fantasy your favorite genre? Why? What kind of books do you like to read? Are they also fantasy?

 The first section in a library or bookstore you’ll find me is the young adult fantasy aisle.  I love diving into other worlds, or exploring what might be hidden here on Earth.  My favorite author is Diana Wynne Jones (The Chrestomanci series), but I really enjoy the Percy Jackson series (Rick Riordan), and the Harry Potter series (J.K. Rowling)…among many others. The creativity I find in fantasy literature just blows me away.


Here's a little about her debut novel, The Last Great Wizard of Yden:

 
After his father is kidnapped, sixteen-year-old Jon stumbles across a closely guarded family secret--one that will challenge everything he has ever believed about his father and himself. A magical ring his father leaves behind unlocks a portal to another dimension, but in using it, Jon unwittingly unchains the forces of evil. A crisis develops when a malevolent wizard transports to Earth to kidnap Jon’s would-be girlfriend. With the help of some unlikely schoolmates, and a warrior princess from Yden, Jon embarks on a dangerous quest to free his friend and his father from the most vicious wizard the magical world has ever known. In the end, Jon will be forced to fight for his life as he attempts to rescue the last great wizard of Yden.

The Last Great Wizard of Yden is available at Astraea Press, Amazon, and B&N.

Suzanne, do you have any other projects coming up you'd like to tell us about?

My short story, Apocrypha is available Dec. 7th as a free read at Musa Publishing.  (Tagline:  Sometimes, even for a demon, love is in the cards).  Apocrypha will be the foundation for a full-length paranormal adventure/romance coming later in 2012.  In April, Musa will also be releasing the first of my Asgard Adventure series novellas.  In The Druid, an adventuresome woman meets an Immortal hero from the pages of a book—bigger than life and twice as Elvish. It’s a modern take on Nordic mythology, and I’m pretty excited about it!

Awesome, Suzanne. Thanks so much for stopping by the blog and letting us know about your work.

Readers, starting December 7th, jump on over to Musa Publishing (publisher of my newest book THE GIRL WHO REMEMBERED HORSES) and look for Suzanne's (S.G.Rogers) free short story called Apocrypha. And look for the other Free Reads they are offering also, as a way of saying Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!

And to learn more about S.G. Rogers, check out her website: http://childofyden.wordpress.com/
Thanks again, Suzanne. It's always nice to get to know new authors, and best of luck on your publishing career!

11 comments:

Suzanne G. Rogers said...

Thanks for having me on your blog, Linda!

Lindsay said...

S.G., what's the difference between writing screenplays and fiction? I know screenplays have a more absurd factor to them, is that it?

Patricia Kiyono said...

Congratulations on your new publications! Hope they are as well received as LGWoY!

Suzanne G. Rogers said...

Lindsay, when I made the switch from screenplays to fiction I had to learn to slow things down quite a lot. My first effort at fiction had my writing workshop vomiting from motion sickness. :-O

Lindsay said...

At least it was only motion sickness

Suzanne G. Rogers said...

You never know, Lindsay, but if was content related they never said so!

Amaleen Ison said...

Yep, it's the YA fantasy section for me, too :-)
Great interview and questions. Well done, ladies.

Sharon Ledwith said...

I remember as a girl (yeah, I still remember that far back)going straight to the sci-fi/fantasy section of a book store. I'm with you Amaleen and Suzanne! Perfect interview, perfect questions! Kudos Linda!

Patricia said...

Good luck in your writing, Suzanne. Nice interview.
Patti

Linda Benson said...

Thanks so much for stopping by, Suzanne. Loved your comment about the difference between writing screen plays and fiction, by the way. I have never tried to write a screen play, and I'd probably be horrible at it. But it's very cool to learn different kinds of writing, because it probably helps our story telling skills in general. Kudos!

Suzanne G. Rogers said...

Thanks, Linda. I think learning how to write in different formats can only be helpful in the long run.