Saturday, November 19, 2011

First Snow

I decided this morning that I've lived in the north country long enough. Normally I delight in the first snowfall of the year, get out the camera and take pictures of the lovely snow-laden branches and crisp frosty air, crunch through the new-fallen snow in awe of its beauty.

This morning, I woke up and said "oh, it snowed. It's going to be a long winter." Then I laced up my insulated rubber boots, discovered there was a rip in the outer covering which means I need new ones, padded over the cold garage floor to find duct tape, and proceeded to patch them together so my feet wouldn't get wet and frost-bitten. After pulling on several layers of clothes, an orange Carhart fleece cap (it's still hunting season,) scarf and mittens, I trudged out to feed animals and take the dogs for a short romp.


At least Penny, eleven months old, thought the snow was pretty fun. Here she is pointing at mice or some other suspected "prey" in the grass.

For my part, I'm dreaming of warmer climates. But at least winter gives me plenty of time to curl up by the fireplace and read, which is one of my favorite things to do in life. And write.

Just a short reminder that a giveaway of two copies of my brand new ebook, THE GIRL WHO REMEMBERED HORSES, is going on over at Equestrian Ink. Here's the link if you haven't entered: http://equestrianink.blogspot.com/2011/11/new-book-and-giveaway.html and the contest runs through the end of November, 2011.

Do you like winter?
Or do you groan and whine, like me, and dream of summer?

5 comments:

Jaye Robin Brown said...

I love the first and second real snows and then I say, that's quite enough, please and thank you.

Patricia said...

I entered your contest but I'm just happy that you've written a book about our beloved horse friends. Cool.
Patti

Patricia said...

I just watched the War Horses trailer on your website. I had NO idea this movie was coming out.
THANK YOU, LINDA.
Patti

Dreaming said...

I love the 'event'. I enjoy the snow-muffled sounds and watching the snow come down. If I could stay inside, that would be great - but with horses around, that means at minimum two trips out.

Linda Benson said...

Jaye - thanks for commenting. I'm either getting old or winter is coming too early (maybe both LOL) Snow at Christmas is sometimes lovely, unless you have to drive far. I'd never make it in Alaska!

Patti - glad you're getting excited about the book, and the movie. Me too!

Dreaming - I think a Big Snow is sometimes fun, if you have plenty of food and you sort of get snowed it. And it's so quiet! I do like that part.

Now we're just having RAIN. Lots of it. I need a tropical island to fly to - LOL.