Saturday, November 12, 2011

Book Club News!

Our New Book Club (hmm, we don't have a name yet, maybe we should remedy that) is off the ground and running. We had our third meeting this week with eight members and a lively discussion.

So far we have few rules, and are managing to pick books by consensus. Usually someone has read one and recommends it, but occasionally we pick a new release that no one has read, but we've agreed that they sound awesome. And we're managing a mix of heavy topics interspersed with lighter fare.

Here's what we've picked to read for the next few months:

Sarah's Key, by Tatiana De Rosnay

The Last Time I Was Me, by Cathy Lamb

The Lost Wife, by Alyson Richman

The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern

My Life in France, by Julia Child

Second Glance, by Jodi Picoult

Secret Daughter, by Shilpi Somaya Gowda

Are any of these titles on your reading list?

Already read some of them? Let us know what you thought!

Feel free to jump in with a comment!

4 comments:

Miriam said...

I'v read Sarah's Key. It is good but very sad.

Linda Benson said...

That's exactly what I've heard about it, Miriam. But I'm still looking forward to reading it. And we have a lighter one picked out after that!

Dreaming said...

I've also read Sarah's Key - I really enjoyed it. Made me pause for a bit and reflect on my life, for sure!
I've just joined a book club... no name for it either!
Our leader has picked the first few books and they are memoir-type books. We have already read "Half Broke Horses" (loved it) and "Cheap Cabernet" (a great book for leading into discussion about friendship, but reading it was at times a challenge).
Your list sounds really good. I'll have to check into getting them... and maybe adding them to our book club!

Linda Benson said...

Dreaming - I'm glad you joined a book club. Yay! I read Half-Broke Horses, too, and I loved it! I found it truly amazing that the author was able to write in her grandmother's voice and peg it so well. Great Book! I haven't heard of Cheap Cabernet - I'll have to look for it.

It's fun to trade book titles back and forth, and there is another book club here in town that is already wondering what we're reading, too! I love meeting other readers that appreciate a good book and love to swap recommendations.