Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Room Divider

A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction. ~ Virginia Woolf

We won't talk about the money situation (but no, I'm not independently wealthy.)

But for my entire writing career I've been dreaming about a room of my own.

"In our next house," I constantly say, "I'm getting my Own. Office." *Sigh*

The reality is that my writing desk and computer have always been in a corner of our living room. A very nice corner, mind you, with a window and a lovely view, but subject to the noises, conversations and distractions of anyone else who happens to be home and wandering through the living room.

So this year, to start the new year off right, I had a brilliant idea. Why didn't I think of it sooner??? I went to a local used office supply store and purchased -

ta da - The Room Divider.


Tucked behind that lovely grey wall is my little private writing cubby, in all its messy glory. I have peace (sort of.) I have privacy! I have my own writing nook!!

Yes, I know this side of the room divider looks a little bare. I'm contemplating ways to spruce it up - perhaps a pretty piece of fabric draped across it? What do you think - any suggestion?

But for now - I don't care. Because I have my Very. Own. Writing. Space.
Shh! Quiet - I'm working ;-)

How many of you have your own writing space or office, or your own spot to do other projects?? Have you found that it helps?

3 comments:

Graceannah's Stories said...

My Dad did not particularly approve of my artistic endeavors so when he passed, I used some of my inheritance to build an art studio in the back of our garage. It has running hot and cold water, heat, windows, lights and I absolutely love it.

Danni said...

I love it. Good job taking care of yourself! I can picture one or two strategically placed houseplants on this side of that wall - you know, to help it blend in a bit.
Happy writing!!

Linda Benson said...

Story - That's awesome. I'm envious of your studio. Very cool!

Farmgirl - yes, a plant or two. Thanks for the suggestion, that'd be awesome!

My writing nook is definitely a WIP (work-in-progress) ;-)