Tuesday, December 17, 2013

"Tis the Season"

"To be Jolly?" While I might put on a brave face and wish people Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays all over town, I also (probably like many of you) tend to get really stressed this time of year.

So much to do! So many loose ends to tie up to make everything perfect. And the weather is not cooperating. In fact, it's downright frigid! As it all begins to weigh heavily on me, I smile and try to stay happy. But it's sometimes hard, right?

So while you're racing all over town, trying to find that perfect gift for that special loved one and feeling more and more frazzled by the minute:

Take a deep breath.

Think about all of the things you are thankful for - the things that really matter.

Call a friend and wish them well (a friend called me this morning, to see how I was doing, and it was such a nice feeling.)

Realize that even with your best intentions, there is no such thing as perfect. Do the best that you can, and that will be enough.

Remember that presents and gifts are not the reason for this season. So whatever you believe, try and stay close to friends and family, be loving, keep your chin up, and spread good cheer!

A tall order, but you can do it!

Thanks for listening to me give myself a pep talk! *grin* 
Hang in there, everyone - and I hope your holiday season is going well!!






5 comments:

Dreaming said...

Just before I read your post I was talking to Mr. Dreamy about how stressed we all get at this time of year... and how terrible that is. We have made so much of this season that the joy of the celebration seems to get lost under the wrappings.
Deep breath.
Your post is so 'right on'!

Merry Christmas!

Linda Benson said...

Aww. I know, it's awful to feel so uptight when we should be feeling happy and peaceful, right? Hope your Christmas season is wonderful, Dreaming. In fact: magical! Merry Christmas to you and your family, also!

Laura S. said...

Great pep talk, Linda! I get into the Christmas spirit about three days after Halloween, which is great for getting a head-start on Christmasy things, like shopping and cards and wrapping and baking. I like to be done everything by the week before Christmas so I can enjoy this jolly time of year and remember my blessings.

Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

Patricia said...

Presents and gifts are not what it's all about - just like you said. I always try to keep that in mind. For me, it's all about my family.

Linda Benson said...

Laura - I think your hint about being a little more prepared is great. I'm a last minute type person, myself, which probably only adds to the stress of the holidays. Next year, I vow to start earlier!

Patti - I agree, Christmas for me means being with family. Sometimes that's not possible, but as long as you remember what's important about the season, it helps to ground you.

Have a wonderful holiday!!