Thursday, April 25, 2013

Connections

I've taken on a new challenge which is turning out to be so rewarding.

I have begun tutoring an ESL (English as a Second Language) student. We've been working on reading, writing, speaking, and reading comprehension.

She is so bright and willing to learn, that it feels like a privilege and an honor to help her.

We have several things in common - we are both mothers, we both have wonderful husbands and families, but today I found out that she also loves horses!

My student used to ride horses when she was a girl, in Mexico, the country where she grew up.

Of course, horse people always get excited when they find out that someone else is also a horse lover, because you know that you'll have plenty to talk about and it is a bond that you share. In this case however, the connection goes deeper.



One of my very first books, published by an educational publisher - Mondo Publishing - is called THE HORSE JAR. It's about a girl named Annie, who saves every nickel, dime, and dollar that she earns in a special jar, in order to buy a horse of her own.

This book has also been translated into Spanish, with the title LA ALCANCIA DE LOS SUENOS (which loosely means The Piggybank of Dreams.)

I am so excited about this shared love of horses that I've found with my student, and next time we meet, I'll be taking her a copy of THE HORSE JAR to read. Maybe she can even help me learn to read the Spanish version of it!

3 comments:

Patricia said...

That is SO cool, Linda. I just love the cover of The Horse Jar. I'll have to get a copy for my own personal reading pleasure. And, of course, I totally relate to what you're saying about finding a "like mind" when it comes to horses. I've met so many people since learning how to ride and there's always something to talk about when it comes to horses!
Patti

Linda Benson said...

Thanks, Patti. Horses are a neat bond to share, and I look forward to many great conversations with my student. And I'm so glad her English is improving so we can talk about them!

Sharon Ledwith said...

Congrats on taking on tutoring, Linda, it's very rewarding! I used to tutor adults in literacy who had a lot of problems and were shuffled through the school system. Love how 'like attracts like' when it came to loving horses! Cheers and best wishes, girl!