Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Hunting Fawn Lilies

One of the things that has brought me much joy lately is watching the variety of wildflowers popping up on our new property. We have a mixed woodland of Madrone, Incense Cedar, Black Oak, Ponderosa Pine, and Douglas Fir, and underneath on the forest floor, almost everywhere you step, native flowers are beginning to bloom.

Buttercups
 
Shooting Stars

So I've been busy rekindling an old passion - one quite dear to my heart. Some years ago I started and ran a native plant nursery, where I grew and sold plants, trees, and flowers native to this region of the west. On the cover of my catalog was a line drawing of a favorite wildflower - a fawn lily, which sports a precious bloom sprouting up between two spotted leaves.


So imagine my delight when I noticed tiny spotted leaves popping up beneath our trees. I've been busy marking the ones in this lawn area with little orange flags, so that someone else in this family *cough* does not mistake them for a weed, and "accidentally" mow or spray them.


I've been patiently waiting for these fawn lilies to bloom. The ones that I've seen before are white - a common variety. And some, called glacier lilies, are yellow. But oh, my goodness, the ones we have on our property are - PINK!



They are Henderson's Fawn Lily - Erythronium Hendersonii - and while not exactly rare, only grow in a rather small geographical area. Pink Fawn Lilies! Right here in my yard! Honestly, I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I noticed this bloom.

So if you don't see me much, it's because I'm out communing with wildflowers. I have rekindled an old love of mine - for native plants of every kind.

Tell me - are wildflowers popping up where you live?

Have any favorites?

5 comments:

middle grade ninja said...

I've been working nights and haven't even had a chance to pay much attention. But I can always count on you:) Thanks for brightening my night with pics:)

Patricia said...

I guess we're all thinking and writing about Spring today, Linda. I posted my Wednesday blog "Spring Has Sprung" and Sheila Seabrook wrote about Spring today and now I just read your blog! I love your pictures and am so happy that Winter is over.
Do you have a catalog? Can I have the link?
yagerdelagrange@gmail.com
Patti

Linda Benson said...

Ninja - Hmm, hard to see wildflowers at night, unless you take a flashlight. Glad you enjoyed my pictures.

Patricia - my nursery (and my catalog) were operational during the time just before everyone had a computer (sounds like the dark ages, but only 15-20 years ago) and therefore not online. I still have a very few print copies. How fast our world has changed, right? But the same wildflowers are still growing!

Sharon Ledwith said...

How is it you've got no snow! I'm a tad jealous, Ms. Benson! Enjoy your wildflower hunt! Cheers!

Linda Benson said...

Sorry, Sharon! I know a lot of the world is still awaiting Spring. Hope it comes soon for you!