Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Bachelorette

Okay, I admit it. I stayed up last night and watched Ali choose Roberto on The Bachelorette finale. I'm such a sucker for this kind of thing. Do I really believe they have a chance of making it? Well, the odds are rather slim for this show.

In the first place, even though some of us might have this dream of finding our Prince Charming or our Princess on a show of this type - in reality, it must be awful to have your every word and move on camera. I mean, how can a person really open up to someone and be themselves with the presence of a camera crew in the same room?



Roberto puts a ring on Ali's finger. I kept waiting for her to learn to say "Roberto" with an actual Hispanic pronunciation, and it plain bothered me that she didn't.


So what actually happens is the show favors people who do well in the limelight. People who can actually speak (or act) with the thought of millions of viewers watching. And the sad part is that lots of possibly good contestants, or matches, with a lot to offer might be let go early, before anyone really got to know them, because they were a bit shy, awkward on camera, or just slower to open up and show their feelings for someone they just met.

So the show ends up catering to limelight huggers (not to mention a few insincere cads) and when two of those kind of people decide to fall in love it's often a mismatch made in television land.

Still, I have to admit *gasp* that I've watched almost every single show (of both the Bachelor and the Bachelorette) from the very beginning. Hey - I was raised on Walt Disney. I'm a sucker for Cinderella stories and happy endings. So there.

Do you watch this drippy show? Who was your favorite couple? And what chances do you give Ali and Roberto?

7 comments:

Monica said...

hahaha, it cracks me up that you watch!! Me, not so much. Too many vapid girls, too much petty melodrama.

However, give me a clever, funny heroine, e.g. Drew Barrymore in EVER AFTER, and I LOVE a good Cinderella story.

Shelby Bach said...

I watch only sometimes, but my best friend watches avidly - and she loves to give me updates as she's watching.

The only one I really watched from beginning to end was Gillian and Ed - and I was really bummed when all this other stuff came out.

I truly wish the couples all the best, but what I really, REALLY want to watch is a movie length spoof where the Bachelor chooses a girl, who admits that she fell in love with the cameraman offscreen...

Linda Benson said...

Monica - I know. I'm almost embarassed to admit I waste so much time watching this dumb stuff. But it's fun to laugh at everyone, and you don't have to actually think too hard, ya know?

Shelby - yes, Gillian was probably my most favorite Bachelorette, too. And I like your idea of a movie spoof, because the show has become almost a parody of itself.

Julie Musil said...

Meet your fellow sucker. I've watched almost all of these also. Only two seasons I didn't watch because I swore I'd never watch them again. But I confess, I love it too. (Even my husband watches, but wouldn't admit that to anyone!)

Roberto was my favorite from the beginning, and I truly hope these two make it. With Jake and Vienna, I knew they were doomed. Yuck.

Lynne Kelly said...

I hadn't watched the show in years, but got sucked into the last Bachelor season when I accidentally watched an episode. So of course I had to watch The Bachelorette to see what happened to Ali. Now it'll be be a neverending cycle.

I was so hoping she'd pick Chris! What a great guy.

Linda Benson said...

Julie - yeah, I think Roberto's a great guy, too, and I sincerely hope they make it.

Lynne - Yes, Chris seemed like a really sweet guy, just not the one for Ali. And the runner-up often becomes the next Bachelor, so who knows?

I get a kick out of how many of my intellectual, writerly type friends actually watch this show (and how sheepishly we admit it, LOL.) Hey, we gotta have some fun, huh?

Katrina Stonoff said...

Hey, Trista and Ryan are still together! It can happen!